Waon Therapy – https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20154403/
Waon Therapy for Cardiovascular Disease – Innovative Therapy for the 21st Century
What is Waon therapy?
- Waon therapy involves warming the entire body in a dry sauna maintained at 60°C for 15 minutes.
- Patients then rest outside the sauna covered in blankets for 30 minutes to maintain the soothing effect.
- Fluids are provided after to prevent dehydration.
Effects of Waon therapy on chronic heart failure (CHF)
- Improves hemodynamics, cardiac function, ventricular arrhythmias
- Improves vascular endothelial function, neurohormonal factors, sympathetic nervous system function
- Improves symptoms when administered for 4 weeks
- Decreases cardiac size and improves ejection fraction
- Decreases rate of death or hospitalization over 5 years
Mechanism of effect on CHF
- Improves endothelial function in parallel with reducing BNP levels
- Upregulates endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) expression in animal studies
- eNOS upregulation improves cardiac and vascular function
Effects on peripheral arterial disease (PAD)
- Substantially decreases pain scores and improves ankle-brachial pressure index and blood flow
- Forms new collateral vessels on angiography
- Heals ischemic ulcers
Mechanism of effect on PAD
- Upregulates eNOS expression in a mouse model of hindlimb ischemia
- Increases blood flow and capillary density through eNOS upregulation
- Effect is abolished in eNOS-deficient mice, showing eNOS is critical
Effects on lifestyle-related diseases
- Improves endothelial dysfunction related to atherosclerotic risk factors
- Reduces oxidative stress levels
- Waon therapy is a promising innovative therapy for cardiovascular diseases
- It has pleiotropic effects and a good safety profile